Which is bigger, Greenland or China? With the traditional Mercator map Greenland and China look to be the same size but in reality China is almost 4 times larger! In response to such discrepancies, Dr. Arno Peters created an equal area map, a new world map that dramatically improves the accuracy of how we see the Earth.
One of the most controversial images of the world, the Peters Map was first introduced by Dr. Arno Peters in 1974, and generated a firestorm of debate. Peters was one of the first to assert that maps are unavoidably political. His map claimed to show "Fairness to All Peoples" providing an area accurate portrayal of the world. Today, this equal area map continues to have passionate fans as well as staunch critics.
Important Features of the Peters Map:
* The Peters Map is an equal area map.
* This new map shows all areas - whether countries, continents or oceans - according to their actual size. Accurate comparisons become possible.
* All North-South lines run vertical on this map. Thus, geographic points can be seen in their precise directional relationship.
* All East-West Lines run parallel.
* New map explanation and bottom comparison panels, including four other equal area maps.