Sorry, Currently unavailable or backordered
Learn practical strategies for ensuring each of your students feels valued, welcomed, and empowered. Author Carissa McCray provides the tools to combat biases inherent in education with pedagogy that encourages students to dismantle the injustices surrounding them. Tackling every angle of the classroom, from instructional practices and curriculum to classroom culture and communication, the book provides opportunities for reflection and inspires readers to ignite change.
This book will build pedagogical and communication skills to
- Understand the injustices inherent in education.
- Design a curriculum that fosters equity and justice.
- Create a classroom environment where any student can feel safe and heard.
- Enact both a mission and a vision in pedagogical practices.
- Enable effective communication with both students and families.
- Provide diverse assessments that address every type of learner.>
- Part 1: Building a Culture of Opportunity
- Chapter 1: Becoming Culturally Competent
- Chapter 2: Expanding Curriculum Culture
- Chapter 3: Shaping Classroom Culture
- Part 2: Speaking the Language of Freedom
- Chapter 4: Articulating Your Purpose, Vision, and Mission
- Chapter 5: Communicating With Students
- Chapter 6: Engaging With Families
- Part 3: Assessing at Cultural Intersections
- Chapter 7: Understanding Intersectionality
- Chapter 8: Diversifying Assessments
- Chapter 9: Committing to Reflection, Professional Development, and Modification
- References and Resources