California tenants: Protect your legal rights
Can you be turned down because you have kids or are a student--or are over age 60 or have a pet? Did you find a termination or late rent notice on the front door? Need to respond to an eviction lawsuit, or break a lease?
You'll find plain-English help here. California Tenants' Rights
also helps you with roommates who don't pull their weight, disruptive neighbors, landlords who don't know (or won't follow) state laws, and local rent control ordinances. This book provides all the information and key forms you need to:
- understand and negotiate a lease
- fight discrimination
- get the landlord to make repairs
- deal with a landlord who invades your privacy
- break a lease with minimum fall-out
- get your security deposit back
- fight an eviction
- deal with health hazards: bedbugs, mold, lead, and more, and
- know your options if your rental gets foreclosed.
Renters have relied on California Tenants' Rights
for nearly 35 years. The 20th edition is completely updated to cover strategies for fighting an eviction in court, with line-by-line instructions on completing the required forms. The book also includes detailed information on local rent control ordinances, and advice on tenant rights to sublet space through Airbnb and other short-term rental services.