Christine Rankine, then a 54-year-old teacher, was living a normal, busy life when she hired Vermini Termite and Pesticide Company to kill termites in her home. Vermini assured her that the chemical applied was a safe and natural product. After the pesticide application, Christine became very ill, with a burning sensation in her throat and lungs, as well as the inability to breath normally.
This courtroom drama and the story that parallels it provide insight into what can happen to an individual after becoming chemically injured. In this powerful biography, author Jessie MacLeod examines the influence of the chemical industry and illustrates how labels and manufacturers' claims are often deceptive. She exposes legal loopholes that allow toxic ingredients in commonly used products and discloses weakness in federal laws and regulations that are meant to protect the consumer. Ms. MacLeod skillfully weaves credible research, colorful characters, and entertaining courtroom drama into this riveting story.
What happened to Christine Rankine could happen to anyone. Reading her story will enlighten you and perhaps give you the knowledge necessary to save you or a family member from possible chemical injury. This book is a must-read for anyone concerned about product safety and for anyone in the mood for a good courtroom drama.